Malta rediscovers war’s culverts abandoned for 40 years.
Beneath the surface time has stopped. Old maps of war, tunnels filled with war residues and artillery, a network of tunnels excavated in the rock where one was studying moves and contorts to decide the possession of the Mediterranean.
In Malta, in the capital La Valletta, for those who want to make a dip in history now there is a new opportunity: a large section of the 28,000 square feet of tunnels in the rock beneath the Barrakka Gardens, which were used in the second World War, will soon be open to the public. The restoration works of the galleries of the port city continue in fact at a fast pace: the tunnel complex of the structure overlaid on the cliffs was built by the British and served for naval operations. It remained intact during the bombing by German and Italian forces on Malta between 1940 and 1942, or when it was subsequently used to control the operations of Russian submarines at the time of the Cold War.
In 1979 the British left the fortress and the complex was abandoned for almost 40 years. Such an important place in the battle for the control of the Mediterranean became the home of infiltrations, molds, rust and humidity that began to corrode the remaining military equipment. Other rooms were overthrown by thieves, but many objects, from telephones to bedrings of all kinds, remained intact, covered by dust. In 2009, the Malta Heritage Trust began restoring historical finds, and now the Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna and Malta Airport are completing the work of this site that preserves the secrets of the island. This will be one of the flagships of Valletta European Capital of Culture in 2018.