Ghasri is located to the west of Gozo and is its smallest parish village with a population of 417 inhabitants, and is also one of the most traditional one. The local council is renowned for the production of honey.
Like neighboring Zebbug, with which it formed part till 1921, Ghasri probably owes its name to the olive industry. The village of Ghasri leads to Ghasri Valley, which ends in a beautiful tight gorge, dropping into the sea. Ghasri is home to the first lighthouse ever to be built in Gozo, known as Ta’ Gordan, it surveys the north shore from an altitude of 180 meters.
The reason why Ghasri was chosen to carry the beacon for Gozo is its location. The village overlooks the northernmost point of the Maltese islands and sentries have always been sent here to watch for boats approaching the islands from the north. Ghasri still has its 18th century charm and its magnificent views from Ghammar and ta Gordan while it continues to flash that beam of light. Down to the coast it is a placid grace along the wied which, at its confluence with the sea, becomes a fjord like gorge.